Gum Grafting for Gum Recession Repair
Gum grafting is one of the most effective methods for addressing gum recession. There are several different types of gum grafts, but all of them involve the removal of healthy gum tissue (or use of donor tissue) that is then placed over the area where the gums have receded and sutured in place to return the patient’s gums back to their normal, healthy state. Although the procedure is mildly invasive and there will be some recovery time involved, advances in dental techniques have made gum grafting much less painful, and the benefits far outweigh the consequences of not correcting gum recession.
Following a gum graft, patients will enjoy the following benefits:
- Better Gum Health: The most important reason to have a gum graft performed is to improve your oral health and reduce your risk of developing periodontal disease. In doing so, you will also reduce the likelihood of experiencing jawbone deterioration and/or tooth loss.
- Improved Aesthetic Appearance: While the health benefits of gum grafting are of primary importance, the improved aesthetic appearance cannot be understated. Following a gum graft, patients frequently enjoy greater confidence in the appearance of their smile.
- Reduced Tooth Sensitivity: When gums recession becomes severe, the roots of the tooth are exposed, making them extremely sensitive to foods or beverages that are cold or hot. Following gum grafting, these roots are covered, which reduce sensitivity.
From regular periodontal maintenance to repairing, correcting, and preventing periodontal disease, including the placement of dental implants, we are proud to provide you with the highest quality dental care available in a comfortable environment. We are also committed to ensuring you know as much as possible about your oral health so you can make important, informed decisions regarding your oral health and treatment options. To learn more about gum grafting, please refer to the following information; or if you would like to learn more about our services or schedule an appointment for gum grafting, contact us today at (740) 366-3559.
Start Your Journey With Newark Periodontics & Dental Implant Specialists Today!
Types of Gum Grafts
Depending upon your specific needs, you will have one of the following four types of gum tissue grafts:
- Free Gingival Grafts: Tissue is removed from the roof of the mouth and placed over the affected area. This procedure is effective for patients who already have thin gums and require additional tissue to make the gum area larger.
- Connective-tissue Grafts: Commonly performed for patients who have exposed roots, the procedure begins with a flap of skin made at the roof of the mouth followed by the removal of connective tissue, which is placed on the area around the exposed root.
- Pedicle Grafts: If patients have a sufficient amount of gum tissue near the affected area, a graft can be made from the gum, which is cut away and then stretched over the exposed root, after which it is sewn shut.
- Allograft: Patients who would prefer to minimize the recovery process may use allograft, which is medically processed tissue from a donor.
Aftercare Following Gum Grafting
The aftercare process following gum graft surgery will largely be determined by the type of gum graft procedure you had performed. If there was no tissue removed, there will be very little pain following the procedure. If you did have tissue removed, it is common to experience mild discomfort for the first 24-72 hours, and approximately one week for the mouth to completely heal. During this recovery period, avoid brushing or flossing the gum line where the grafting occurred. It is also a good idea to stick to a soft-food diet for one or two weeks following the procedure and avoid eating foods or drinking beverages that are hot. Generally, any pain or discomfort felt during this recovery process can be managed by prescribed or over-the-counter pain medication.
Once you have completed the healing process, you will not have to follow any special aftercare modifications; however, it is important that you take proactive steps to ensure that you will not require similar procedures in the future. In addition to brushing twice daily (minimum) and flossing on a regular basis, it is equally important to brush and floss properly. Every time you brush, do so for at least two minutes. Once you are done, clean your toothbrush. It is also important to replace your toothbrush every three months or sooner if the bristles become irregular or flay.
Along with following good self-care, it is also important to schedule regular checkups with your periodontist at least every six months. These regular appointments allow us to conduct a professional cleaning that will remove plaque and tartar that cannot be removed using traditional methods, and provide us with an opportunity to survey your current oral health and identity and address issues before they develop.
If you follow these best practices, you will enjoy a bright, healthy smile for many years to come!
Cost of Gum Grafting
The cost of gum grafting will be determined by a variety of factors, including what (if any) type of dental sedation is used, the severity of your case, and how much (if any) of the cost is covered by your dental insurance plan. We are happy to help you file your claim and ensure that you maximize your insurance reimbursement, but any remaining balance will be your responsibility.
If you are not able to pay the full amount due at the time services are rendered, the following financial options may be available:
- Care Credit: 0% interest for (maximum) three months (Our office pays a fee to keep this interest loan free for three months, provided the bill is paid on time)
- 0% interest for pre-authorized debit/credit card for (maximum) four months (Agreement must be signed beforehand)
- Most credit card companies provide interest-free credit for one year to new cardholders.
We accept cash, check, and all major credit cards.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
At Newark Periodontics & Dental Implant Specialists, our patients are our most important asset. We are committed to providing you with high-quality care and developing a trusting, long-lasting relationship to ensure you receive continuity of care tailored to your unique needs.
To schedule an appointment for gum grafting, or to learn more about other services we offer, contact our staff at (740) 366-3559.
We look forward to providing you with the care and support you deserve!